Grocery Shopping Tips for Success
One of the key tools for weight loss success is planning your food. Learning to master grocery shopping will help you in increasing your success on your diet and keeping temptations to a minimum. Keep these top 10 tips in mind when hitting the grocery store to keep your diet and shopping on track.
- Tip #1 – Shop the outer aisles. Hit the produce department, meat department, and dairy department before you enter any aisles in the center of the store.
- Tip #2 – Snack attack. This should be obvious but don’t even think about going down the cookie, chips, or soda isles. If you never bring it in your home (or car) you won’t be tempted to eat it.
- Tip #3 – Never shop on an empty stomach. If you’re hungry you’ll be more apt to grab the easiest, quickest thing and that’s often not the healthy choice.
- Tip #4 – Read the labels. Now I know this can sometimes seem like a pain but remember the big picture. Besides, once you know a food is OK you never have to read the label again.
- Tip #5 – Keep it simple. When reading the labels the more ingredients you can’t pronounce or recognize the more you should pass on the product.
- Tip #6 – Keep good company. Only shop with friends or family who will be encouraging you to make healthy choices.
- Tip #7 – Make a list. Know what your menu plans are for the next week and only buy the items that fit your plan. No cheating (unless you’re buying for your guilt free days).
- Tip #8 – Bottoms up. When shopping for beverages, skip the soda and look for calorie free drink flavors to spice up your water.
- Tip #9 – Skip the store. Growing your own foods is the best way to make sure you’re getting fresh organic veggies; plus, the exercise you enjoy while tending the garden is wonderful.
- Tip #10 – Chop your own. Buying pre-cut foods can cost more and cutting them yourself is just one more way to keep moving.
With just a little planning and a few simple rules, you can be a success at the supermarket.