Why aren’t there any shoes for mud runs and obstacle races??? Over the last couple years I’ve participated in a handful of courses, and found myself asking that question over and over in my head as I sloshed along in saturated old sneakers. For anyone who has done a mud run obstacle race, you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. All too often we find ourselves gritting through the pain of blistered and sore feet from rocks and water, and not spending time actually having fun and enjoying the course and camaraderie. Not to mention for the avid competitor, running in this unnecessary pain slows us down significantly, affecting our times.
The wait is over. A couple of weeks ago I competed in a Reebok Spartan Race and got to try out the new Reebok All-Terrain Shoes. I was really curious as to how they would perform, because in past mud runs and obstacle races my shoes were my #1 complaint. These types of races are definitely a battlefield for your feet, and you need an obstacle-minded shoe in your arsenal!
Conclusion: The Reebok All-Terrain shoe is the ultimate shoe for mud, obstacles, rocky terrain, and anything else the Reebok Spartan Race may throw at you. It has some amazing features that allowed me to focus on the course and not on my feet. Here are a few of my favorites:
• 360 Degree Traction: To me, this is the most valuable aspect of this shoe. Because of the knobby cleat-like construction, my footing was true, and I was able to power up, over, and through any obstacle—walls, ropes, mud, hills, and others—because this shoe sticks to anything! There was no slipping whatsoever, and I was able to focus on having fun instead of on my footing. I felt like a freaking mountain goat out there!
• H2O Drains: In previous obstacle races, I ran for miles with what felt like heavy, muddy bricks on my feet, because my shoes were like sponges for all the dirt and water along the course. Not good. The H2O Drains allowed any and all water to drain out within seconds, and the thin, light fabric dries almost immediately. No more heavy, water-logged shoes!
• Rock Guard: Obstacle-type racecourses are covered with rocks, and after past competitions I’d end up walking on my tippy toes for a few days because my feet were so bruised and painful. But not after wearing these shoes! The underfoot is hard enough to protect your feet against rocks and sharp edges, but not too hard that you can’t maneuver quickly around obstacles.
• Overall Weight: The Reebok All-Terrain shoe feels virtually weightless and fits like a glove. Perfect for conquering all those obstacles!
So would I recommend the new Reebok All-Terrain shoe? Absolutely!!! No matter what obstacles I faced, these shoes performed and allowed me to have a phenomenal—and fun—Spartan experience. And to top it off, I simply hosed them off post-race, and put them back in the closet (no tossing them in the garbage!) Good thing, since I won’t do another mud run or obstacle race without them. AROO!!!!!
To learn more about Spartan Races and the new Reebok All Terrain shoe, check out these links:
• Heidi’s Review of the Reebok All-Terrain Shoes
• Spartan Race
• More info on Reebok All-Terrain Shoes